Current Most Popular Post

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tutorial: How to package/box a pen for shipping

I posted this tutorial on my other blog The Repairer's Bench, but I thought I'd share it here too. Mostly since my other blog is still in the beginning stages, and I wanted to make sure that the video got some publicity, being I put so much time into it. :) Anyways, here goes:

Finally, another video tutorial!

It's been a while since I've made on of these. But I finally got around to making this one.

In this video I will explain my preferred method for packaging a pen, so it arrives safely at it's destination. Enjoy!


Some final thoughts for you:

PVC: I do not recommend using PVC to ship pens in. A pen that is packaged as shown above is plenty protected from drops, and crushing blows to the box. PVC simply adds bulk to the package. Also, in international shipments, PVC can actually be mistaken for an explosive device while going through an x-ray machine. Not good. :)

Shipping pens in manufacturers boxes: Another method I highly advise against. Shipping a pen in it's original case is usually very uneconomical, as the boxes that manufacturers use are for looks, and not for efficiency. Often times the require up to twice as much postage to return, because of the huge sized boxes they require. Aside from that, I also feel that manufacturers boxes are not very secure for the pens. They normally allow the pen to jostle around, and I feel that is not a good thing...

You can get these boxes for free, and they come in many different sizes. Just go to your local post office, and ask for some. They'll be happy to give you a few, or a bunch! You can also have them delivered right to your door for free. Just visit USPS.com. Make an account there too while you're at it. Making an account presents the following benefits:

  • Your address is saved, thus eliminated the need to type in a return address every time you print a label.
  • You can save frequently used addresses to your account-address book, for quick access.
  • You an order boxes online and have them shipped to your door, free of charge.
You can ship these boxes via the following two methods:
  • You can have your local postman pick them up!
  • You can simply drop the off at the PO - what I always do.
I believe there might be a way to drop these off in a USPS drop box, but I'm not sure. I will ask my local PO lady, and I'll report back here when I find out.

Once again, I hope you enjoyed the video. Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think. I would love to hear your suggestions and opinions!


Regards,
Tyler Dahl

4 comments:

  1. Good tutorial, Tyler. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tutorial! An alternate source of cushioning paper is newspaper, of course. I find it kind of neat to get a section of a newspaper from a faraway place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea Maja! Newspaper is an excellent source of packing material, and it's always great to recycle.

    I got all my paper from my move about 1 year ago. We're still building the house, so we haven't moved in yet. But there is so much moving paper! I've got about a years supply of it, or more.

    I always make an effort to recycle packing materials. As long as they're clean, and they don't smell, I'll re-use them.

    ReplyDelete