Current Most Popular Post

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Cartridge/Converter


Most of you know by now that I am not a huge fan of the cartridge converter filling system. But I really should say that I was not a huge fan of the c/c filler.

Yes, I’ve finally come to appreciate the cartridge converter. Believe it or not, I’ve even come to prefer it in many of my pens.

Obviously this warrants an explanation, so read on to find out more:

How much ink do I want my pen to hold?

This is what started it all. Do I really want my pen to hold a months supply of ink? Over time, I discovered the my answer is no. I can’t think if a reason why I’d want to fill my pen and use the same ink all month long. It’s boring to me.

So I thought of filling my pen halfway. Great idea! But then why did I pay for the huge filling system in the first place? Well…

See, for me personally, as a blogger, I do a lot of ink testing. I like to try out at least one new ink a week, and if I have to wait a month before I can refill my pen, I don’t get to try out many inks. And yeah, with the amount of pens I have filled, and the amount of writing I do, that's a pretty accurate estimate of how quickly I run through a fill.

True, I could change my writing habits and filling habits, but why not just get a filling system that suits me instead of me changing my habits?


Enter the cartridge converter

The c/c filler turns out to be exactly what I’m looking for. It holds a modest amount of ink, it’s refillable from a bottle, and it doesn’t jump the price of your pen up by $50.00. In short, it is nearly the ideal filling system!
Here’s my personal list of reasons to love the cartridge converter filling system:
  • Inexpensive
  • Easy to replace in the event if failure
  • Cartridges are an excellent back up in case you run out of ink on the go.
  • You get the opportunity to change inks very often, which is nice when you use ink as slowly as I do.
Overall, there’s actually a lot to like about the c/c filling system. Oh yes, other filling systems offer huge benefits too - I don’t doubt that, but for me personally, I have discovered that the c/c filler really fits the bill for what I want in a filling system.

So there to have it. I am a convert to the evil and dark side of c/c fillers. I still love and use my others pens of course, but now I’ll never reject a pen because it has a cartridge or converter instead of a piston.

Questions and comments welcome! Anyone else with me on this? Or have I just made a big mistake? :)

1 comment:

  1. Good rationalization. I've been debating the pros & cons of c/c myself.
    Another benefit of the c/c is resistance to ink expansion and burping due to heating, because the reservoir is insulated from the outer barrel. Other filling systems may be more unique or cool, but the c/c is practical.

    ReplyDelete