Current Most Popular Post

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Weekend Reads 6/2/12


There's been a lot of good stuff going on this week in the fountain pen world. New inks, some reviews, and even a FPN blackout (see the official FPN status update here).

We've got lots to cover, so without further delay, here's your fountain pen fix for the weekend.





Well firstly, I do hope you all managed to survive through that FPN blackout. I know a few folks had some very bad withdrawal symptoms. :) But luckily it's over, and the amazing FPN admin team has once again saved us all from a world without Fountain Pen Network.


And now, beginning with the latest and greatest, here’s the Links of the Week:

#1: Here we have a very well done review of the TWSBI Vac700. But the real reason this link is #1 is because the writer reports his nib to be perfect out of the box. He gives it a solid 10/10. The reason I find this interesting is because I honestly would like to know the percent of folks who got a bad nib. It is a proven fact after all, that people usually only speak if there is a problem. So all the folks who got a great job may just be keeping quiet...

#2: How about a Noodlers ink made exclusively for the Goulet Pen Company? This is pretty exciting to see, and from the scans, I definitely think I'll be ordering a sample at the very least.

#3: No, sorry, Eric and Dan have not gotten their own Noodlers ink (yet!). But they have brought us news of the 5 new Diamine ink colors coming our way soon. I've been really impressed with the gorgeous new inks Diamine has been producing recently. These latest ones sound pretty fantastic as well!

#4: And to look further into these Diamine inks, it looks like someone from the FPGeeks forums has managed to get a hold of two of the colors early. He's got a review up before the inks are even available! But a great review it is, and a very nice sneak peak at what to expect from these 5 newest colors.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/676-Diamine-Sargasso-Sea
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/677-Diamine-Ochre




Now we turn to the Q&A Time for your weekly tidbit of educational fountain pen information.

Q: "What are your favorite red inks, blue inks, black inks, and green inks?"

A: In no particular order :)

Red: Diamine Red Dragon

Blue: Iroshizuku Kon Peki

Black: Noodlers Black (bullet-proof)

Green: Tough choice... But currently it's still Private Reserve Sherwood Green.

Each one is subject to change, though some are much less likely than others to get replaced. Iroshizuku Kon Peki has been a favorite of mine longer than any other ink. It remains the best of blues in my opinion.

My choice of green inks could very well change in the next few months, as I have quite a few new greens to try out.


Q: "Is an ultrasonic cleaner (USC) necessary to get your pens really clean?"

A: Certainly not. It helps, to a small degree, but I find that cleaning a pen by hand is the best way to ensure it is done right. That's how I clean my own pens, and most pens that come in to my shop as well.  The USC is good for some jobs, like cleaning dried ink, and loosening up stuck sections, but it has it's limits. I find that a cup of water and a few paper towels will provide me with all I need to fully clean a pen, in most cases. I do use my USC, but it's definitely not necessary. It's more of a convenience thing than anything else.





Lastly, the Blog Forecast:


  • I'll be adding a few updates to my Edison Pearl review I did yesterday. Someone in the comments asked some very good questions, and I think they deserve a detailed answer.
  • How about a review of J. Herbin Éclat de Saphir? It's one of the few J. H. inks that I've really loved so far.
That's all I've got planned for this upcoming week so far.






And that my friends, sums up this weeks Weekend Reads! I hope you've enjoyed this latest edition, and please leave me a comment if you've got any questions for the next Q&A!

No comments:

Post a Comment