Current Most Popular Post

Monday, May 30, 2011

Pelikan size comparison

Recently a good friend of mine was so generous as to loan me some of his gorgeous pens to "test-drive". I was thinking of reviewing them but there are already so many reviews out there so I thought I'd do something a little different. I decided to do a quick little size comparison showing the difference between the (seemingly) most popular Pelikan models. The Pelikans featured here are the m400, m600, and m800. Accompanying them is a beautiful Sailor 1911 and my Parker 51.



I also just wanted to get in some pictures of these gorgeous pens!

Here's the Pelikan m800. My personal favorite size.

Pelikan m600. This size is also nice but is substantially lighter than the m800. This is because the m600 and smaller (m400, m200, etc.) have plastic pistons whereas the m800 (and m1000) have the heavier brass pistons.

This is the Pelikan m400 (white tortoise). This pretty little pen is almost the exact size as an Esterbrook J. I do find this size comfortable for jotting down quick notes as I can post the cap without making the pen overly back-heavy.

Here are the three pens compared to each other. The m400 and m600 have a very small size difference between them.

Here they are with my Parker 51 on the right and a Sailor 1911 on the left.

The Parker 51 is almost as long as the m800 but is far lighter and thinner.

One of the reasons I love the Pelikan design is the nib. The lovely two-tone 18c nib on the m800 is truly a thing of beauty!

Here's the m800 again. It's a gorgeous pen!

Another nib shot for good measure!

Here's all the pens from front-view.

This next part shows the pens capped and uncapped next to my ruler. Hopefully this will be a useful reference for those interested in the sizes.

Pelikan m800 capped.

Pelikan m600 capped.

Pelikan m400 capped.

Pelikan m800 uncapped.

Pelikan m600 uncapped.


Pelikan m400 uncapped.

Well, I hope you've found this useful. If not then I hope the pictures were enjoyable! These pens are amazing and I'm looking forward to getting myself one in the near future. When I do buy one for myself I may do a full-length review.

Regards,
777 - Tyler Dahl

9 comments:

  1. Nice comparison. That white M400 looks gorgeous. An M800 is, like, the "golden" standard for me but I doubt I'll ever buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I'd ever buy one because of the cost but I simply can't resist.   Besides, since I only own 1 other pen I don't think it to extravagant to have two!

    Glad you liked the comparison. Yes, the 400 white is a pretty little thing!

    Regards,
    777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  3. M800 is my dream pen.  I'll never own one because of the cost.  My wife would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they can be expensive. However, it depends on where you buy from. I would and will never buy a pen more expensive than $300.00.

    I've seen the m800's go for $200.00 or less which is my price-range. I've also seen them go for $500.00. It all depends on where you're buying! 

    Fountain Pen Network marketplace has some great deals!Regards,777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I'll find a deal one day.  I guess I have to be actively looking for one first. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to test drive an m800 but I have to admit that the m400 in your photos is one little beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had an M400 green stripe since the late 90s, and recently came across a near-mint current-production M400 white tortoise at a great price.  Much as I love both of these, the section is so darned short even for my small hands that the threads irritate my fingers.  Are the sections of the larger pens longer? 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, that white color is even better in person than in the photos!

    Regards,
    777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't exactly recall but I do believe they were larger. The section is certainly thicker and judging from my photos it looks longer to me. If I get one I'll measure it for you...

    Regards,
    777 - Tyler Dahl

    ReplyDelete